2020 Malaysian Banking and Finance High Level Meeting and Virtual Conference took place on 23rd July 2020 at Hotel Istana, Kuala Lumpur. It was a hybrid event combining physical and virtual meeting. The theme of the conference was “Digitization: The Age of Disruption in the Banking and Finance Industry”
The opening keynote address was Current Challenges Facing the Malaysian Economy by YB Dato’ Sri Mustapa bin Mohamed, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economy).
My employer Silverlake was the main sponsor for this event and I represented Silverlake in the official opening ceremony.
The topics discussed in the one day conference were:
- Global, Technological and Economic Challenges: What will Shape the Future of Banking?
- Digital Banking – The Game Changer: How will it Disrupt Banking How are Traditional Banks Responding? What are the Prospects for Digital Bank?
- Sustainable Banking – The Way Forward towards Sustainability and Enhancing ESG Issues in Banking
- Leadership and Talent Management: Enhancing Operational Excellence in a Digital New Era Through Technology and People
- Financial Literacy and Financial Inclusion: Protecting the Unbanked in an Era of Digital Banking & Consumer Protection
I was given the honor to moderate panel discussion on Sustainable Banking – The Way Forward towards Sustainability and Enhancing ESG Issues in Banking. The panelists were:
- Mr Eddie Hu, Managing Director, Elegant Hallmark Sdn Bhd
- Dato’ Badlisyah Abdul Ghani, President, Chartered Institute of Islamic Financial Professionals (CIIF) / Former CEO, CIMB Islamic Bank Bhd
- Datuk Noripah Kamso, Former Chairman, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat Malaysia
- Mr Yee Wing Peng, Chief Executive Officer, Deloitte Malaysia
- Mr Promod Dass, Deputy Group CEO, RAM Holdings Berhad
- Dr. Adam Ng, Sustainable Finance Expert, WWF-Malaysia
It was indeed an interesting discussions with insights from panelists coming diverse background. It was concluded that not much has been done by financial institutions in Malaysia on Sustainable Banking agenda. One of the panelists shared data from other countries and it indicated that FIs that scored high on ESG performed better than those that scored lower.
Finally, we agreed that ESG and Sustainable Banking is a broad topic that requires a conference dedicated to the topic to be able to look into various aspects of it.